Friday, May 16, 2008

Crows are eerily smart

Text not available
The Bird Book By Chester Albert Reed
Yesterday afternoon, I watched a neighbor's cat chase a baby rabbit. I don't know the end of the tale--I suspect it wasn't pleasant. (I did try to intervene, but cats really don't care about our opinions). As soon as the chase began, I noticed something interesting. A crow flew down to some branches overlooking the scene and began watching. As the chase moved across the street, the crow followed. And then, when it became clear that the cat (apparently de-clawed) wasn't going to be able to finish the job very quickly if at all, the crow lost interest and flew on.
Which is why I was particularly interested when BoingBoing yesterday posted a link to Joshua Klein's TED presentation about crows and his crow vending machine project. There is an astounding scene in which a crow fashions a hook of a piece of wire to retrieve an object from a tube.

No comments: